Friday, June 1, 2018

I am on a "Friends" Deleting spree and it’s making me fall back in love with the social network

I’m on a Facebook cleanse, and it’s making me fall back in love with the social network I couldn’t stand for years. YES!! I will be de-friending everyone – all that will remain will be real life family and friends who I regularly catch up with (or those whom I want to keep in touch with).

Through the years, I have lost some, deleted some, been deleted by some, and gained many. Too many. I feel lost in a sea of friends, some of which I have absolutely no contact with at all. That is what has brought me to the point where I need to reassess the whole concept.

So this week is my Friends List Cleaning Week, since it’s pointless to have "friends" who never interact and only lurk. I’m about one week into my Facebook cleanse, and I’m down—after a couple of satisfying unfriendings this week—to 560 friends, a 22 percent reduction.


Over the last two years, I have felt consistently happy. This is the longest stretch of happiness I have encountered since I was a child. Over the same amount of time, I have cut a multitude of people out of my life that dragged me down in one way or another: energy-zappers, Arce lickers, judgmental Janes, etc.

I have had someone whom I thought was a good friend cut all ties with me coz they got butthurt over an argument on Social Media. It really doesn’t matter to me coz that person’s attitude has always sickened me from the beginning.  That person is probably still bitching about me, seeking others help to pull me down, ganging up against me, asking others to unfriend/block me etc. I am quite sure about the last one coz I’ve had at least 2-3 people unfriending me after that argument and I can’t me more happier about it :D

Trust me, today morning I woke up and decided to remove a couple of people from my friends list, turns out they have already removed me and unfollowed me on Fb and Instagram coz that ex-friend has asked them to do so (Arce-kissers I told ya :D ). Coincidence much? Well...hey, if you are reading this, you just went straight out and did it! THANK YOU. I applaud you until my palms bleed!

Though I have zero interest in seeing these people again, I can say I’m proud of having ended things that way. The only interaction I could see myself having with these people is me asking them to be true to at least one person and telling them the reasons for my action. No apologies. No regrets. I am letting it all go with love and prayers.


Guys, if any person in your network is toxic, arse-kissing the person whom you hate all the time, AIR (All India Radio), all time peeper, too much into your personal life, spreading rumours about you, taking your ideas and practising clear cut plagiarism, possess malintentions about you, hurtful, hateful and trying to take a toll on your personal life, then, DISCARD them immediately. It’s your life, unfriend them and give opportunity to those cranky nuts to start minding their respective lives. I CANNOT deal with these types and I am making an effort to cut them from the list. The negative energy they give off could dry up Niagara Falls.

However, even more recently, I have tried to just limit my contact with the remaining negative nancies in my life instead of just ceasing to talk to them. Not only do I have a better outlook of life and have great things happen to me (yes they are correlated!), but the guilt of cutting ties with them is practically non-existent.

Anyway, Facebook’s a lot better now. Once it felt like a stadium packed full of strangers and so called “friends” yelling at each other. Now it feels more like a cocktail party. My lifelong friends, current co-workers, high-school pals and online friends. We all mean something to each other.

This is because I have decided to SIMPLFY my life and focus on the people and things that bring good, positive, exciting, and engaging things to my life. I think it’s really a good practice to evaluate our friendships – all our relationships – periodically.

So if you’re suffering from friend clutter, try a one-year Facebook cleanse. It’ll make your online experience a lot cleaner, better and  more meaningful.



Love,

A realist who cannot tolerate fake friendships :)

No comments:

Post a Comment